Start a new topic
Answered

Writing a review max characters is 1000. How to increase?

As the topic states, the maximum review length is currently 1000 characters.

I know it is possible to increase this however looking at the widget code, i am not sure how. It doesn't seem as straight forward as I thought it would be.

Has anyone achieved this, or know how to do it? Ideally I would like no limit, or perhaps a limit of 5000 chars.

Cheers

Sean

Best Answer

Hi Sean, happy to meet you. Before posting an answer I had to first verify that the database column for that specific field supported the size you wanted. As it turns out, it does not support 5000... BUT 32K!!!! omgg. hehe.

So you can set it from anywhere between your current 1000 to a 32000. Note however that, the bigger it is, the more latency you will create for your customers, So my suggestion would be something around 8K which is basically a book of a review right there (That's one hell of a review if it reached 8K ^^).

Now, to the fun part. To be able to set this, on your backend dashboard, go to Toolbox -> Widget Manager and look for Submit Review Module. Customize this widget and edit it. Go to line around 125 and you should see something like this:

if (form.review_description.value.length<15 || form.review_description.value.length>1000) {
				reason=reason+'- Recommendation must be between 15 characters and 1000 characters longrn';
			}

Change the part that says value.length>1000 to value.length>8000 for example, and save it. That should do it from your side. From our side, we will be changing the limit from 1K to 32K today. This way, any member can have the freedom to change their Review description size as mentioned in this answer without being limited by the backend.

I will update you when the backend is updated today Sean. Big hug!

Answer

Hi Sean, happy to meet you. Before posting an answer I had to first verify that the database column for that specific field supported the size you wanted. As it turns out, it does not support 5000... BUT 32K!!!! omgg. hehe.

So you can set it from anywhere between your current 1000 to a 32000. Note however that, the bigger it is, the more latency you will create for your customers, So my suggestion would be something around 8K which is basically a book of a review right there (That's one hell of a review if it reached 8K ^^).

Now, to the fun part. To be able to set this, on your backend dashboard, go to Toolbox -> Widget Manager and look for Submit Review Module. Customize this widget and edit it. Go to line around 125 and you should see something like this:

if (form.review_description.value.length<15 || form.review_description.value.length>1000) {
				reason=reason+'- Recommendation must be between 15 characters and 1000 characters longrn';
			}

Change the part that says value.length>1000 to value.length>8000 for example, and save it. That should do it from your side. From our side, we will be changing the limit from 1K to 32K today. This way, any member can have the freedom to change their Review description size as mentioned in this answer without being limited by the backend.

I will update you when the backend is updated today Sean. Big hug!

Hi Sean, we have updated the Backend to support the full 32K size. So you should be able to provide a flexible size between the minimum 15 characters up to 32K.

Fantastic! Thank you Luis!