One of the security measures employed by our system is to block an IP address automatically if a potentially nefarious pattern of activity is seen coming from an IP.


95% of the time an IP is blocked because someone is using that IP to look for vulnerabilities on your site. When our system recognizes this pattern of activity, the IP is automatically blocked.  The other 5% are false positives triggered by one of the actions listed below - generally attempting to login to some portion of the system using incorrect credentials.


  • 10 failed attempts at logging in to an FTP account within 1 hour
  • 10 failed attempts at logging in to an email account within 1 hour
  • 5 failed attempts at sending an email using your domain name (someone attempted to send an email using your domain using incorrect credentials)
  • 5 failed attempts at logging in to cPanel within 1 hour
  • 5 failed attempts at logging in through SSH within 1 hour (SSH is a command-line server interface which would typically only be used by a developer or server administrator)

If your IP address has been blocked for any reason, please feel free to submit a ticket with the IP that was blocked and which website you were attempting to access, and we will be happy to help unblock that for you right away.