NOTE: Before completing this step, you must FIRST connect your live domain name. Please see: How To Move Your Site To Your Live Domain.
Important Information: Due to a change in their policy, beginning on June 11, 2018, Google requires all users to add billing information to their account in order to activate Google Maps API keys. However, Google gives all users enough free credits each month so that the vast majority of websites will never have to pay anything for this service (as of writing this article, we are not aware of any Brilliant Directories websites ever having to pay for this service).
In fact, with this update, Google is actually giving users even more free credit than before. The only difference is that they now ask for billing information during the setup process rather than after a user consumes all of their free credits.
1. To get started, visit this link: https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/#get-started
2. On this screen, make sure to have selected all 3 options and click Continue:
3. After clicking the "Continue" button you will be prompted to login to your Google account. If you do not already have a Google account, you can create one for free by clicking HERE.
4. From here you'll need to either select an existing project or create a new one. We suggest to create a new one:
5. Provide a name for your project and click NEXT:
6. Create a billing account:
7. Select the country and agree to the terms and condition in order to continue:
8. Fill in your billing information and click on "Start My Free Trial":
9. On the following page, click Next:
10. On the next screen, you will be given your API key. Make sure to copy the key and save it somewhere safe:
12. Next, you must do a couple of steps to ensure the security of your API key. To do so, go back to the page where you copied your API key and click on API Console.
13. Enter a name for this API key into the "Name" field. We are going to leave the default name "API key 1" for this tutorial, but you can use anything you like:
14. Select HTTP referrers (web sites):
15. The next step is to enter the proper domains into the "Accept requests from these HTTP referrers (websites)" field:
THIS STEP IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, PLEASE BE SURE TO COMPLETE THIS CORRECTLY
For the purposes of this tutorial, let's imagine that the domain of my website will be on is http://www.ilovebrilliant.com. It is very important that you know what the final domain of your website will be for this step.
Enter the following one at a time to the "Accept requests from these HTTP referrers (websites)" field. Press ENTER after typing in each domain to add it to the list:
*.ilovebrilliant.com (IMPORTANT: Replace "ilovebrilliant.com" with the final domain that YOUR website will be hosted on)
ilovebrilliant.com (IMPORTANT: Replace "ilovebrilliant.com" with the final domain that YOUR website will be hosted on)
After you have completed the above, you should see the following:
16. Click on "Save".