Ever wondered how to completely customize a membership feature? In this tutorial, we will show you how you can customize from scratch a membership feature, streaming widget, and form to offer members a new option to showcase their products.
SCENARIO: You want to offer your members a motorcycles membership feature, which includes adding, searching, selling and filtering different types of motorcycles.
So where do we start? In order to customize a Membership feature that also includes modifying its form, we first have to create our custom form and tell the newly customized feature to use it. After this, we need to add a streaming widget that searches for the specific data of this new customized feature and lastly associate the feature with the membership levels we want to be able to use this feature. So in a nutshell:
- Create customized Motorcycles Form
- Customize a Membership Feature and associate it with the membership levels that will use it.
- Customize a Streaming Widget
With these points in mind, we need to look for a Membership Feature that is similar to what we want to accomplish, saving time in the end. For a feature that will offer our Members an option to add, search, sell Motorcycles, the best option would be the Membership Feature Properties. Since we will be customizing the Membership Feature Properties, we would also need to customize the Streaming Properties Widget since it correlates to the Feature Properties.
So let's begin...
Create customized Motorcycles Form
1. On our backend, we first go to Toolbox - Form Manager and select the Feature - Properties Form which we will use as the base:
2. Now click on Customize:
3. At the beginning the Post - Motorcycles form will have the same fields as the Post - Properties form, you can use this to start adding, modifying or deleting the fields you want until the form has only the needed fields for your Motorcycles Form. The image below is an example of some of the options that were modified to adjust it to what I needed. The most important parts of adding or changing the fields are that you set the correct Field Label and Variable name. So in the image, you will see, in the 3rd field, the Field Label is Motorcycle Model and the Variable Name is motorcycle_model.
There is only one required variable name that needs to have the group_name value in order to work correctly and this would be the Variable Name for the Label Name you choose as the name of the Motorcycles post. In this particular case, in the image below, on the 2nd field, I have label Motorcycle Name and the Variable Name is group_name. The system uses group_name to set the actual name of that post. So instead of the system showing you something like "Photo Gallery #87" it will show the value in this field.
4. When you are ready to save the form, the Save Form Dialog opens, change the Form Variable Name and Form Nickname options accordingly. Also remember to change all other settings that show the Properties value, like the Tab Name in the Member Profile Settings section or the Default H1 in the Search Results Settings section. After all the changes have been made, save.
Customize a Membership Feature
1. After you have added all the fields you want to use on the form we can now go to the Membership Feature. So click on Content - Edit Post Settings hover over Actions and select Clone the Property Feature.
2. Now click on the Edit button on the newly copied Property feature now change the Feature Name to "Motorcycles" and the Form to Use to "motorcycles_listing" (The variable name we set to the Motorcycles form when we copied it.
Remember to select the form you just created for this feature:
3. Now we add this new feature to a membership level for a test. In order to take care of this, navigate to Finance - Manage Products and click on the Edit button on a membership level you wish to edit and after the Edit Membership Level dialogue window opens, navigate to Post Publishing section and enable the Motorcycles Feature then save the Settings (You can press CTRL+S to save):
If you want more detailed information about how to edit this section please see article below:
Removing or Adding Post Types as Videos, Photos, Favorites, Reviews from your Site
4. Let's test if everything is working properly up to this point. This test will be divided into 2 parts, one will be checking if the changes are showing correctly, the other one is to add several sample motorcycles and see if they appear correctly.
For the first test, we will log in as one of the members that are on the Membership Level you added the Motorcycles feature. If you see the following form, then you are doing great:
5. For the 2nd part of the test, we will now add several sample motorcycles. Add between 5 to 10, we will use this later on, to test the Streaming Widget for this new membership feature. After adding a couple of samples, we should end up with something similar to this on the member's account:
Customize a Streaming Widget
Up to this point, we should have a completed customized form for our Motorcycles feature and a new membership feature called Motorcycles. Now we need to customize the streaming widget for this new feature. For this example, since we based our initial Motorcycles feature on the Properties feature, we will also use the streaming widget for properties. To take care of this, navigate to Settings - Design Settings - Homepage Layout - Homepage Section Order Options. Here you have the ability to choose the new Motorcycles feature from the Linked Member Feature drop-down.
You can also add the new title to the Recent Properties Title field.
There are other options available here such as, edit the number of motorcycles to be displayed, and choose to only display posts with images on them.
Once you are ready with all the changes and updates, it's time to select this new Streaming section from the Homepage Section Order drop-down. You can choose the location of this new Streaming section from the drop-down menus:
With this, we end up with a Basic course on how to customize a form, a membership feature and a streaming widget for a specific product.