How To Connect A Domain
To publish the site on a live domain, please follow this 2 step process:
- STEP 1 (this article): Point the domain to us through the domain registrar (Godaddy, NameCheap, etc) by using either the Nameserver Method or A Record Method. Please make sure to complete this step before moving on to STEP 2 linked below.
- STEP 2 (click here to view the article): Update the domain of the site in the Domain Manager
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please make sure to do both of the steps above to complete the process of publishing the website on the live domain.
Why Do I Need To Connect My Domain?
When launching a new Brilliant Directories website there is a "Staging URL", which is a temporary URL that the website can use while building the website.
Some on the advantages to having a staging URL is that it provides the time to work on the site without impacting the eventual domain. Some users prefer to wait until their website has all of the proper keywords and settings set to avoid having their websites indexed before it was ready.
Read These 4 Tips Before Connecting The Domain:
- Update the domain nameservers OR A Record BEFORE connecting the domain. Skipping that step and connecting the domain will make it impossible to view the website.
- If the domain that is going to be connected is using a 3rd party service for emails and do not wish to have any email interruptions, we recommend pointing using the A Record method.
NOTE: There are known issues with GoDaddy Email Services and we do not recommend using them for the emails.
- When the domain gets changed, in rare cases it can take up to 48 hour for the new domain to work. See if the website is online here: https://geopeeker.com
- GoDaddy: how to update nameservers
- Network Solutions: how to update nameservers
- Namecheap: how to update nameservers
- Bluehost: how to update nameservers
A Record Method
This method is popular when using a sub-domain. Connect the domain by pointing the domain's A Record to its assigned IP Address.
To find out which IP to point the A record to, please go to SETTINGS >> DOMAIN MANAGER. Scroll to the "A Record" section.
The IP address will show here. Please note that the IP address will vary depending on the server that the website is on:
- GoDaddy: how to update A record
- Network Solutions: how to update A record
- Namecheap: how to update A record