Why Do I Need To Connect My Domain?
When you launch a new Brilliant Directories website you get a "Stagging URL", which is a temporary URL that you can use while you build your website. Some on the advantages to having a staging URL is that it affords you the time to work on your site without impacting your eventual domain. Some users prefer to wait until their website has all of the proper keywords and settings set to avoid having their websites indexed before it was ready.
Please Read These Four Tips Before Connecting Your Domain:
- You must update your domain nameservers OR A Record BEFORE connecting your domain. Skipping that step and connecting your domain will make it impossible to view your website.
- If you are currently using a 3rd party service for emails and do not wish to have any email interruptions, we recommend pointing your A Record. NOTE: There are known issues with GoDaddy Email Services and we do not recommend using them for your emails.
- When you change your domain, in rare cases it can take up to 48 hour for the new domain to work. See if your website is online here: https://geopeeker.com
How To Connect Your Domain
To put your site on your live domain, it is a 2 step process:
- Edit the setting of your domain with your domain registrar (Godaddy, NameCheap, etc) by using either the Nameserver Method or A Record Method
- Update your domain in Domain Manager
- GoDaddy: how to update nameservers
- Network Solutions: how to update nameservers
- Namecheap: how to update nameservers
- Bluehost: how to update nameservers
A Record Method:
This method is popular when using a sub-domain. Connect your domain by pointing your domain's A Record to its assigned IP Address. To find out which IP to point your a record to, please go to SETTINGS >> DOMAIN MANAGER and scroll to the "a record" section. You will see your IP address here. Please note that the IP address will vary depending on the server that your website is on:
- GoDaddy: how to update A record
- Network Solutions: how to update A record
- Namecheap: how to update A record
Connecting Your Domain
To connect your domain with the Domain Manager please check out the following documentation: Settings » Domain Manager